Choosing Between Red Cedar Wood and Thermowood for Saunas: A Comparison of Benefits
When it comes to choosing a sauna, the choice of wood is crucial for both aesthetics and functionality. Among the myriad options available, two popular choices often stand out: Red Cedar Wood and Thermowood. Each offers distinct advantages, and understanding their unique qualities can help in making an informed decision.
Red Cedar Wood: The Timeless Classic
1. Natural Aromatics: One of the most enticing features of Red Cedar Wood is its natural aromatic scent. The wood emits a pleasant fragrance, enhancing the sauna experience with its calming and therapeutic effects.
2. Durability and Resistance: Red Cedar is highly durable and resistant to decay and insects due to its natural oils. This makes it an excellent choice for sauna construction, where exposure to moisture and heat is prevalent.
3. Insulating Properties: The cellular structure of Red Cedar Wood offers excellent insulation, helping to retain heat efficiently within the sauna. This aids in maintaining a consistent and comfortable temperature.
4. Aesthetics: The rich reddish-brown hue and distinct grain patterns of Red Cedar add a touch of elegance to any sauna. Its natural beauty often appeals to those looking for a classic and inviting sauna environment.
Thermowood: Engineered for Performance
1. Thermal Stability: Thermowood undergoes a specialised heat treatment process, resulting in improved dimensional stability and reduced moisture content. This enhances its resistance to warping, shrinking, and swelling, making it ideal for sauna use.
2. Enhanced Decay Resistance: The heat treatment process alters the wood’s chemical composition, significantly increasing its resistance to decay, fungi, and insects. This ensures longevity in sauna applications.
3. Uniform Appearance: Thermowood boasts a consistent appearance with a warm, caramel hue. For those who prefer a more uniform aesthetic without natural variations, Thermowood can be an appealing choice.
4. Eco-Friendly Option: The thermal modification process utilised in creating Thermowood often involves sustainable practices, making it an environmentally friendly choice for conscientious consumers.
Choosing the Right Fit
While both Red Cedar Wood and Thermowood offer remarkable benefits for sauna construction, the choice ultimately depends on personal preferences and specific needs:
- Traditional vs. Engineered: Red Cedar appeals to those who value the traditional aromatic experience and the natural beauty of wood, while Thermowood suits individuals seeking enhanced stability and uniformity.
- Aroma Preference: The aromatic fragrance of Red Cedar can greatly influence the sauna experience, offering a therapeutic element that some find indispensable.
Both Red Cedar Wood and Thermowood bring unique advantages to sauna construction. The choice boils down to personal preferences regarding aesthetics, aroma, durability, and budget considerations. Whether one leans towards the classic allure of Red Cedar or the engineered stability of Thermowood, both options promise an enjoyable and long-lasting sauna experience.
In the end, the perfect choice is the one that aligns with your vision of a relaxing, inviting, and enduring sauna retreat.
At Take Wellness, we are proud partners with Leisurecraft Europe, enabling us to offer our customers a wide range of saunas. You can view a selection of our modes by Clicking Here, or call your nearest showroom to speak to one of our experts:
Cheltenham – 01242 228792
South Wales – 01443 804310
Alternatively, you can email us:
Simon, Kate, Laura and all of the team at Take Wellness/Hydropool